6.16.2008

Homophobes Given Another Reason To Hate California


The California Supreme Court decision that struck down legislation prohibiting legal marriage between same-sex couples has made a lot of people happy. I recently "officiated" at a commitment ceremony for two wonderful friends, who happen to both be women. I hardly told anyone, primarily because I work with one of these friends and she is particuarly protective of their relationship and is careful with whom she shares details of her personal life. Even though the company I work for is considered very progressive and extends health insurance and other benefits to same-sex couples, there are individuals who would stand in judgment. I love my family, but had I told them, there would have ensued the rolling of the eyes and an expression of "first it was those two gay men in Dallas--now she's taken up with lesbians--where did things go SO WRONG?"
But here's who I was absoutely DYING to tell: members of former churches in which I was Spouse-In-Chief who would count this as absolute that I'm on the express Chattanooga Choo-Choo to hell.
It was a perfectly beautiful day and I'm still amazed when people find another person they could imagine being with for the rest of their lives. If Colorado ever follows California's lead (uh huh), perhaps we can do it again, and I can use the phrase "by the authority granted me by the State of Colorado." The ground down south underneath the Focus on the Family compound would surely tremble then. I'm sorry--but spending just one day tormenting religious fundamentalists just isn't nearly enough.
By the way, graphic above is from www.someecards.com

2 comments:

Shmonkey said...

How much do I love you for the shout out in this post!--I am one of "those two gay men in Dallas," right? Or have you become a beloved hag of some other couple, Reverend Minerva. Are you two-timing us?

Congratulations on conducting the committment ceremony. I can't wait to hear about it.

And go give those bisquick baking, cool whip Jell-O mold making, whitebread ladies from the auxiliary hell! They never liked you anyways.

Minerva said...

You two will always be #1 in this hag's heart, my love.