4.17.2007

Prettiness

I regret to say that I wasn't shocked when I heard about the mass murder at Virginia Tech. Grieved, yes, but when in class today and yesterday, I noticed that other people expressed sadness, but everyone seems rather inured to this kind of violence. The flags to go half-mast, the 24 hour news cycle minions go into hyperdrive, George Bush goes on television to express the grief of a nation (but no pondering of why this never happens in say....France, or U.K.), and the requisite parading of testimonials from people who, in the midst of their trauma, are able to spare a few minutes for Good Morning, America. I predict that eventually Oprah will have survivors and parents of victims on her show, that there will be a moment of silence on "Dancing With The Stars", and that there will be an episode of "Law and Order" eerily reminiscent of the VT massacre. This senseless tragedy is made more wretched by media's scripted tragi-tainment that now inevitably follows such an event.

I heard that at today's memorial service, one of the speakers repeated "We will prevail" numerous times which was followed by chanting of "Let's go, Hokies!" If that actually comforted people, then who am I to argue--but I can't help but wonder when people will tire of finding comfort from platitudes delivered by a disingenuous President who serves the gun lobby and admit the outrageous reality that had this young man not had such easy access to a firearm, most or all of his victims would still be alive today.

*****

Well, I'd intended to only mention a few thoughts re the VT tragedy and point out that while people are mourning these losses, the media has taken the time to point out that John Edwards is sort of a girly-man when it comes to his hair. CNN pointed out that "looking pretty" is helping to deplete Edwards' campaign bank account. Not "handsome", but "pretty". Would other male candidate's grooming proclivities ever be described by the more feminine-sounding "pretty?" Did Ann Coulter contribute to this piece?

2 comments:

Shmonkey said...

Minerva:

The speaker who stated, "We will prevail," was VT faculty member and poet extraordinaire, Nikki Giovanni. She wrote a poem for the convocation that was very much in her style, and in my open, very appropriate.

See the text here: http://www.vt.edu/tragedy/giovanni_transcript.php

The students chanting was inspired, I think, by the message of the poem, which was healing, reassuring, and resistant to victimization. Though chanting a school's victory motto may seem irreverant, I think it was understandable in the context--the need to express something and share a sense of unity in the face of something inexpressible.

Minerva said...

You know, I agree with you, and I didn't think the motto-chanting was irreverent. No doubt it was very meaningful and comforting to those people in that place, and I certainly believe that mourning can bind people together.

And, perhaps I do not have a right to be, but I'm nonetheless sad that there will likely be no change. My cynicism arises from several sources. I find it such an indictment that NBC found it acceptable to broadcast the killer's "manifesto" while parents were still burying children. They found it acceptable because they knew people would watch.

Everyone has a definition, I suppose, of what it means to prevail, and for many of those who are grieving today it will mean simply being able to get out of bed every day, and go to work and school without succumbing to fear. And this is no small thing. But if as a society we leave our grief at the site of the memorial and and go no further--how will we prevail?

I'm just angry--but then what else is new?