1.16.2007

Why Don't They Just Brand Women With A Hot Iron And Get It Over With?

I remember all too well how easy it was for me to take my ex-husband's last name when we married--and what a nightmare it was to change it back when we split. It turns out the groom open to acknowledging that the woman taking her man's name is an outmoded patriarchal remnant has similiar difficulty if he wants to take his wife's last name.

Only a handful of states have made the process equal. When I married in Texas a lifetime ago, all I had to do was check a little box indicating I was allowing myself to be branded as my husband's property and that was that! Check out the requirements for a man in California who wants to take his wife's last name. Among other things, he must appear before a judge who will than likely question is manhood and caution him against the dangers of being "whipped."

NEVER AGAIN!!!

No comments: