8.08.2008

Project Blog It: Strawberries

A few years ago, Shmonkey came over for a brunch, and I had some strawberries in a bowl on the table. My memory has it going like this:

1) I note with regret that the strawberries are starting to look a bit gone, and that if they were going to be eaten, that was the time.

2) Shmonkey declined, recalling a scene from "Hills Like White Elephants" in which a bowl of iffy strawberries sit on the table.

Now, I haven't thought about this moment in years, but for some reason it popped into my mind when I read that this week's prompt is "strawberries." Here's the thing about memories though--I just re-read the Hemingway piece, and for the life of me I cannot find mention of strawberries! I'm guessing Shmonkey's actual reference wasn't "Hills" at all, but this is my memory. Anyway--I also remember laughing about it--and is a welcome memory at the end of a hellacious week.

My favorite way to eat strawberries? Currently, I get them for use in my favorite smoothie:

Blend together the following:

1 small/med banana
1-1.5 cups blueberries
1 container non-fat blueberry or strawberry yogurt
6-8 strawberries
Skim milk as desired
1 T honey

It makes a lot! Whip some up when expecting some friends for brunch.

1 comment:

Shmonkey said...

One faulty memory references another. Though I have ready Hemingway's "Hills Like White Elephants," I can't for the life of me remember what happens, much less that there were strawberries in it.

I do remember that in Mann's "Death in Venice," Auschenbach dies of cholera that he got from, you guessed it, iffy strawberries. Good thing your iffy strawberries didn't lead to a tropical disease all those year ago.

Hoping to share brunch and strawberries with you soon.

Shmonkey